See event here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV8LYLtNLkc
Date: Tuesday 28th July
Time: 5:00pm EDT (4:00pm Colombia)
Language: English with interpretation in Spanish
Organizer: Asociación Ambiente y Sociedad
How to join the transmission?
This event will be available in both, English and Spanish. We share you the link of both spaces so you can join us in which ever language you prefer:
Description: On 22nd June, Colombia´s President Ivan Duque presented to the Congress, with call of urgency, the draft law for the ratification of the Escazu Agreement. It is expected that the Congress will pass this law, reaffirming Colombia´s commitment towards strengthening environmental democracy, access rights and the protection of environmental defenders. With this ratification (Colombia will become the 10th Party), the Escazú Agreement will be pending of only one more ratification for its entry into force.
This virtual dialogue aims at providing a global perspective of the significance of this agreement, particularly from the perspective of the environmental and social challenges faced by Latin America and the Caribbean. The event will be divided into two panels. The first panel will focus on how this agreement could promote a more ambitious regional climate action agenda, and the safeguarding of other fundamental rights. The second panel will analyze Colombia´s national process for the Agreement´s signature and ratification, including the perspectives and expectations from the civil society and local communities.
Panel 1 5:00pm to 5:45pm
| Dr. David Boyd (to be confirmed) United Nations Special Rapporteur on Human Rights and the Environment
Andrea Brusco UNEP LAC Environmental Governance Regional Coordinator
Natalia Gomez Public Representative Escazú Agreement
Moderator: Maria Aguilar Climate Justice Coordinator- Asociación Ambiente y Sociedad (AAS)
| – Why is the Escazu Agreement relevant for the socio/environmental context in LAC, especially considering the current crisis?
– What are the major challenges regarding environmental democracy in the region? What is expected to be improved with Escazu and what are the major challenges for its implementation?
– What is expected in the next Conference of the Parties and the future of the Agreement?
– Can the Escazu Agreement promote more ambitious climate commitments and the compliance of other human rights?
|5:45 pm to 6:00pm||Q&A|
Panel 2 6:00pm to 6:30pm
|Fanny Kuiru (to be confirmed) OPIAC – Colombia´s Organization of Amazon Indigenous People
Vanessa Torres subdirector AAS and Escazú Alliance member
Moderator: Maria Aguilar Climate Justice Coordinator at AAS
– What were or are the major challenges for making Escazu a reality in Colombia?
– How is the Escazu Agreement reinforcing access rights in Colombia?
– What is expected from the Indigenous People and local communities´ perspective to be strengthen in terms of access rights?
– How can the Escazu Agreement actually improve the terrible situation that environmental defenders encounter in Colombia?
|6:30 pm to 6:45 pm||Q&A|